Every day, more than 300 children are treated in U.S. emergency rooms for accidental poisoning, and two children die from it.
Reports of youngsters getting sick after eating colorful laundry and dishwasher detergent pods that they thought were candy have renewed warnings about keeping all cleaning products both out of sight and out of reach -- behind cabinet doors with childproof locks.
But there are other, less obvious poisoning risks at home: everyday medications, even those formulated for children.
Follow these key safety steps if you have little ones living in your home or visiting you:
For the safety of all family members, regularly go through and organize household medications. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests throwing out unneeded or expired drugs by disguising them in coffee grounds or kitty litter. Or turn them in at "Drug Take-Back" events -- call your local health department for information.
Even if you follow all precautions, accidents happen. Have the national Poison Control Center number on every phone in your home and programmed into your cellphone. It's 1-800-222-1222. Call it if you think your child has been poisoned but is awake and alert. If your child has collapsed or isn't breathing, call 911 immediately.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has more advice to prevent poisonings in the home.
Copyright © 2013-2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
This content is intended for informational purposes only. It should not replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you think you have a medical emergency, call 911 or your doctor immediately.