Along with other hazards, winter storms bring with them an increased risk for illness and death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a gas known as the silent killer because you can't see, smell or taste it, Dr. Diane Calello explained in a news release from Rutgers University.
To reduce your risk for carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning, Calello, medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center, said it's important to:
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately and get everyone out of the building. Don't waste time opening windows. Also call the Poison Control Center -- 1-800-222-1222 -- for immediate treatment advice, Calello said.
The National Safety Council has more on carbon monoxide.
Copyright © 2013-2018 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
This content is intended for informational purposes only. It should not replace professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. If you think you have a medical emergency, call 911 or your doctor immediately.