Rates of addiction are increasing at alarming rates. Nearly 21 million Americans have at least one addiction, yet only 10% of them receive treatment. Getting the right treatment starts with education. So on this week’s Ask the Doctor LIVE, MedCircle Doctor Dr. Domenick Sportelli does a deep-dive into how to handle addictions.
Here are some highlights from this week’s call:
- When does recreational marijuana become addictive?
- Can someone get physically addicted to cannabis and is there such thing as “withdrawal” from marijuana?
- Are there rehabilitation programs for marijuana?
- I have a friend who is a recently recovered addict. How can I support them in their recovery and celebrate their progress without being patronizing or condescending?
- As a supporter, how do I appropriately react to the dangerous or reckless behavior of an addict?
- What are the genetics of alcohol dependence and addiction?Can someone get tested for any of the genetic factors of alcohol addiction?
- How to keep kids safe in the midst of rising rates of addiction - especially in the midst of the opioid crisis?
- As someone who works on the front lines of emergency mental health care, what kinds of addiction is Dr. Dom seeing the most?
- Physical addiction v psychological addiction: what are the differences and how can I spot them?
Dr. Dom provides key advice for handling addictive qualities in yourself, and for ensuring your kids or loved ones avoid addictive behaviors in the future.